R&D Intern – IoT Solutions
Flow is a software and services company that delivers Sustainable Mobility Management solutions to businesses that are de-carbonizing their mobility footprint. We want to transform the way businesses, people and communities move in a more sustainable way to help save the planet.
The successful Flow’s employee is:
- Team-Oriented. Collaborative and respectful, we work hard and embrace conflict and discussion while maintaining a sense of humor.
- A Problem Solver. We are adaptable and look for creative ways to get things done, applying critical-thinking skills to analyze, identify and execute solutions to problems large and small.
- Ambitious. We are risk takers, curiosity-driven self-starters who want to raise the bar.
- Trustworthy. We take full responsibility for our actions, are accountable to all our stakeholders, and work autonomously and collaboratively toward a shared goal.
The R&D Intern – IoT Solutions position provides a challenging opportunity to apply your technical and leadership skills to real-world engineering and product development activities. You will make meaningful contributions to our company through your involvement with actual product development projects.
Flow’s product development process includes a wide variety of activities, from brainstorming concepts to developing and testing prototypes to putting the product into pilot implementations. Your responsibilities will include designing, analyzing, prototyping, developing and documenting new products and/or existing product enhancements, as well as working with other team members to plan and coordinate project activities. You can expect to gain expertise in the development of IoT-driven solutions in the fields of mobility and energy, and how applied R&D fits into a continuous product development cycle from R&D to Product, Engineering and Delivery.
- Work as a Product Development Engineer in a cross-functional product development team to develop innovative mobility solutions
- Perform electrical, mechanical and software prototypes and analyses. Examples may include:
- – Testing and end-to-end validation of smart bike lockers/trackers and their integration into Flow’s platform.
- – Installation and testing of diverse fleet management devices on different vehicles and analysis of their performance and data restrictions.
- – Testing of charging stations including physical validation and exploitation of the different use cases enabled by different models (e.g., setup of a smart charging network);
- – Design and implementation of the best networking approach as a function of the specific requirements for a specific connected device (e.g.: Zigbee, Wi-fi, 2G/3G/4G, NB-IoT, LoraWAN, …) within a given context (e.g.: smart plug in an undergound parking)
- This role will NOT involve the development of any new Hardware, but rather the testing and design of solutions incorporating existing and industry validated HW products. HW prototypes may be required for specific test cases only.
- Use engineering and product design skills to optimize new and existing product implementations for function, ease of implementation and support, and cost
- Assist in development of prototypes, test plans and pilots
- Organize project documentation for clear communication to other team members.
Who we are looking for…
- MS in an Engineering field from a top-ranked university (completed or thesis to be developed within the scope of the Internship)
- Strong understanding of the main electrical engineering and networking (including IoT) technologies
- Proven hands-on experience in the implementation of IoT projects (can be lab or personal projects)
- Nice-to-have: Good understanding of IoT-related use cases in the areas of urban mobility, energy efficiency, and electric mobility
- Nice-to-have: Experience or interest in developing Python/R-based applications exploiting the data generated by IoT-devices
- Good knowledge of English
- Exceptional critical thinking, analytical, problem-solving, project management, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task effectively in a fast-paced environment
- High level of enthusiasm and desire to learn. Continuous improvement mindset
What we offer…
- Flexible work hours and Possibility of remote work
- Mac as a laptop
- Training program and free access to Udemy courses
- 2 days extra vacations (Birthday + 1 at Christmas season)
- Health Insurance (including dental and vision)
- Coffee break on us
- Happy hour every Friday (free beer on the fridge 😉 )
- Team Building activities and Company Outings
- Showers and Locker Rooms
- Free Parking
- Great environment and the opportunity to work in sustainable solutions for the future of our mobility and our Planet